Wednesday, September 9, 2009

My Thoughts on Radiation

Radiation sucks. That's the best way to describe it. No offense to Dr. Maguire for the way they've lined up these toxic beams to hit my body but it still sucks. Apparently there's no way to radiate my lower back without hitting part of my bowels which causes nausea and stomach pain. So, I can add Zofran to my repertoire of pills which are so numerous I need an old lady's pill box with am/pm dividers to keep track of it all. Who'd have thought! Anyway, it's supposed to help. Considering that I woke up with stabbing pains on my right shoulder blade yesterday which is an area they can't radiate, incidentally, because it's in the field that was already radiated last year, I'm not all that optimistic that the radiation treatment is doing anything except keeping my L3 vertebrae from fracturing, which, admittedly, is a biggie. I can hardly wait to experience the fatigue that is already bad but will worsen with more treatments. Yippee!


So, the folks up in Boston are once again concerned that the pain has increased and spread. Means that the hormonal treatments are likely not working. Probably also means chemo is on the horizon when I meet with them in October. Maybe I can keep my hair this time. Woo hoo! On a more positive note....

Last night our small church group talked about the meaning of love and how we should put the needs of others, everyone, before our own. Wow, that's hard. I've always thought I got the pass on that one since it takes every ounce of energy I have to take care of myself and my children right now. But I don't think so anymore. I've found when I actually step outside my little world with its accompanying health problems and fears that even I can help other people. Maybe it's just calling to check up on a friend who's having a difficult time. Perhaps I need to let some other driver merge while I'm sitting in a traffic jam. Maybe I just need to let my overworked, stressed out husband know that I appreciate how hard he works to make a living for all of us. I don't know. We can all do something for another person. Give it a try. You might find that your expressed concern and time makes YOU feel better as well as that other person.

Have a great day one and all!

1 comment:

  1. Sharing this blog and your experience is a HUGE outpouring of love on your part.......
    Gina

    ReplyDelete