Sunday, January 2, 2011

Penelope Cruz moves to Magnolia Greens

In case you don't recognize me in the next few weeks, I'll be the chick that looks like Penelope Cruz walking her dog through the streets of Leland. Yeah, "that me." I had my first chemo session with Taxol/Avastin last week and it was no picnic. Nausea (that apparently I was not supposed to get), fatigue, and oh yeah, pain because I can never get my pain prescriptions filled properly due to problems with the pharmacy stocking the meds and the insurance company agreeing to pay for them. AGGH@##@%%%%!!!! So, I decided to get a new wig for the hair loss this time around to cheer myself up. I got the "Lola" wig (that's a scary name, I know) that looks to me a lot like Penelope Cruz's hair from the late 90's. So, we'll see! I bought it online so there is no telling what I'll look like!

Our holidays were good. Just now putting the decorations away, which I love because it means the craziness of the holidays is done! I've been blessed with such wonderful trips to Napa, Florida, and Asheville that I'm ready to hunker down and watch the days pass from the comfort of my life raft (bed) while watching my favorite tv. I don't expect to be up to too much activity because the treatments are weekly (every Wednesday) in Chapel Hill. I have about 3 days of recovery, a couple of days of feeling ok, and then another treatment. I will have every 4th Wednesday off. Woo hoo! So, lots of driving, lots of nausea, lots of fatigue. I'll survive. Hopefully, I'll notice an improvement in a few weeks. I'm willing to give it up to 6 months. If I don't see an improvement in my pain by then, I'm stopping.

Our office manager Gladys is coordinating help for us. We're asking for drivers to take me to Chapel Hill and back on treatment days, meals, and help getting the girls to gymnastics. Fortunately, our church has been helpful as have many of our friends who continue to amaze me with the help they are willing to provide. Our youngest daughter started competitive team gymnastics recently so her schedule is even busier. But, with God's help and that of many other people too, we'll get through this tough time.

Happy New Year to all and God bless!

Sofie

2 comments:

  1. Hi Sofie...I mean Penelope :) I am coming to Wilmington Feb 10-13 and I would love to be your food delivery girl one of those days! Since my cooking abilities are...let's say, lacking, I will have to find a wonderful ready made dinner for you and your family. I am hoping to have lunch or dinner with the Pink Posse so I will message Tanya to see if she can arrange a gathering. Would you feel up to a spa visit? (I'll drive!) I miss you and I think of you often. By the way, I had a pretty cool rocker chic wig and yes, it was fun to wear. Hope your wig lifts your spirits like mine did. By the way, I can be reached at www.helenbstrickland@gmail.com. Be strong and take care, my friend.
    Love and prayers,
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! I have not had the pleasure to meet you in person but absolutely adore your girls. This is Ginger Yousey, 2nd grade teacher at Belville. I have been trying to follow along with your progress from Karen and just wanted to tell you and your family are in my prayers. I recently discovered that my husband, Matt, knows your husband through work. I pass by all of you every morning on the way to drop my son off at his grandmothers (blue honda accord). It warms my heart to see you out with the girls, and I say a little prayer on the days that I don't see you. If there is ever anything that I can do please let me know. Madison goes to gymnastics on Tuesday's and I am usually around other days of the week if you need something. Maybe Hadley or both girls could come over one day for a play date with Madison. She would love that. Maybe even Courtney could come over. I will continue to follow your blog to stay updated and again let me know if I can do anything. My number is 910-523-1075!

    ReplyDelete