Wednesday, September 1, 2010

My Dad

Hi everyone,

As many of you have no doubt heard, my dad is in the hospital again. His PICC (sp?)(what oncologist uses to administer chemo) line got infected and he caught an e-coli infection. Then, he went into septic shock and had at least one heart attack. On Sunday morning, it looked like he would not make it. When his heart was trying to stop, docs shocked him. I went in early Sunday morning to be with him while he passed on (or so we thought). To make a long story short, he's still in the ICU, still on a ventilator with blood pressure meds and antibiotics and not doing so great. They tried to let him breathe on his own and his body reacted badly so they put him back on the ventilator. I don't know if he'll make it or not. Obviously, he has to be able to breathe on his own at some point. At the moment, we're just waiting to see if he can get rid of the infection. If he does, that may help his body strengthen enough to start breathing on its own. His heart is not happy at the moment so it's very iffy.

He is sedated and asleep at the ICU so he cannot talk on the phone. The ICU does not allow flowers or anything like that. Basically, we're just waiting and praying. I hope he can breathe on his own soon or we'll have to make some big decisions that I don't want to make.

Nevertheless, the family is set to go to Bald Head Island for Labor Day weekend. Geoff and my 12th wedding anniversary is the 5th so we absolutely have to celebrate. It's close enough that I can get back the hospital if I have to but the house is reserved and it's supposed to be amazing. Geoff got the rental as a fee in exchange for some work (on a civil case for a change). Otherwise, no family vacations any time soon. We're broke due to paying my mom's caregiver around the clock and me not working. We also have a rental house that we're going to try and sell. Anyone want to buy a 1500 square foot house in Churchill Estates in Wilmington for about $160,000? We need to overhaul that house that has had tenants for 8 + years and put it on the market. Busy busy. No time to get into trouble:)

As for me, I'm hanging on. Lots of pain and fatigue as usual. Taking lots of meds as usual. For the time being, I'm in charge of the Wonderly affairs. Scary! Thank goodness I've surrendered my care and concerns to God. Lord knows I'm not capable of handling this on my own. One blessing with living in crisis mode is that you learn how to deal with crisis!

Many blessings to everyone. Please pray for my dad.... I want to keep his stubborn a** around for a while longer!

Love,
Sofie

No comments:

Post a Comment