Monday, January 2, 2012

Hello 2012!!!!

I hope that everyone had a wonderful Christmas. We certainly did. I am so grateful to my sister in law Amy for allowing me to sleep and/or rest in her guest room day after blissful day. I had a doctor's appointment at Dana Farber on Dec 22. I was supposed to have doc appointments in Chapel Hill on Dec 16, but since we just flew back from Paris on Dec 13, got in late and were seriously jet lagged, I just could not handle the 6 hour (round trip) drive. Anyhow, considering the 10 mile drive to Dana Farber and having seen Dr. Winer in the past, we chose that option. It was a good thing we did too-- my blood counts were horrific. Hemoglobin was below 8, platelets were 24 (having dropped from 45 on Dec 5) and my neutrophil and white blood cell counts remain low. Long story long, I received my first platelet transfusion, which lasts only 4-5 days, and a whopping 3 units of blood. Nevertheless, the anemia left me tired over the break. I am so thankful that (knock on wood) I have remained infection free with no immune system.

However, Paris was awesome!!! God blessed me with sufficient energy to survive long plane rides, hours in airports, and a husband who loves to use his feet as the sole means of transportation while on vacation. (truth be told, I didn't object). We saw: the Eiffel Tower at day and nighttime, Notre Dame, the Louvre, the Rodin museum, Sacre Coeur, the Church of Saint Louis, the church St. Eustache, the church St. Sulpice, the church St. Germaine de Pres, Versailles, as well as numerous cafes, restaurants, and stores. I must admit -- seeing Paris on foot allows you to appreciate the architecture and the beauty of EVERYTHING Paris. They don't even build ugly bridges!! The only sight we couldn't get in to see was the Catacombs (it closed literally in our faces).

Back to reality. I am hanging the carrot of further travel to keep me marching on. My dear friend Wendy, who watched our girls while we went to Paris, and I talked about a late spring trip back to Napa. Not too much for wine tasting (I barely drink wine these days) but for relaxation and spa treatments, and enjoying the Milliken Creek inn. We will see. First, I have to pay some bills. Oh yeah, and start that decitabine treatment for my new cancer. Oh yeah, that. It will involve 5 consecutive days out of every 28 days, for 3-4 months. I think I will get treated here but keep my docs in chapel hill. Do you know my oncologist and hematologist in chapel hill each spend about 30 minutes with me, per appointment? That's just talking time!! Those are some docs with good bedside manner! That's why we make the drive.

This is long. I will post photos later. God bless you all and I hope the post-holiday hangover doesn't hurt too much!

Love,
Sofie

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you got to make the trip. We need to reschedule our appointment soon! Also, I just want to see you.

    Monica

    ReplyDelete